Skip navigation

Commercial Business Licence

The City of Surrey requires that all businesses in Surrey, including home-based businesses, hold a valid business licence.

A business is defined as a commercial or industrial undertaking of any kind or nature, or providing professional, personal or other services for the purpose of gain or profit.

Apply for a new commercial or industrial business licence

If you're going to be starting a new business in Surrey, follow the steps outlined below to successfully receive your new commercial or industrial business licence:

Ensure your business complies with bylaws: Review the business regulations for operating a commercial business in Surrey. Make sure the zoning of the property allows the type of business specified on the application. Before signing any lease or purchase agreements, we strongly suggest you complete a Zoning Inquiry Form (provided for free). This form is required for any tenant improvement permits for your facility.

Find out if there are additional requirements for the licence: Some professions have associations that require membership, certification and/or a criminal record check before you can get a business license. These professions include, but are not limited to: plumbers, engineers, doctors, dentists and registered massage therapists.

Confirm your business licence fee by contacting Bylaw & Licensing Services at 604-591-4370. A list of fees (for reference only) is available in the Business License Bylaw, 1999, No 13680 document in Schedule A on page 35.

Submit your application and pay the business licence fee: Use the Online Business Licensing application or complete the business licence application form.

You can also submit:

  • In person at Surrey City Hall at 13450 104 Avenue, Surrey, BC. By submitting your application in person, you will receive your business licence application number immediately. Make payments in cash, by cheque, Interac, or credit card.
  • By email to Payments by credit card are accepted.
  • By fax to 604-501-7685. Payments by credit card are accepted.
  • By mail to (Payments by credit card or by cheque made payable to City of Surrey are accepted):

Surrey City Hall
Bylaw & Licensing Services
13450 104 Avenue
Surrey, BC V3T 1V8

Inspections: For commercial and industrial businesses, if the business is permitted to operate at the location, a series of inspections will take place, including:

  • Building
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Health (for certain businesses)

Call for a Building Inspection.

Inspections may not be required if you have Final Building Approval with the correct business name and it has been approved within the last 6 months.

Once you receive your business licence in the mail, your business license is valid for 1 year from the application date.

Learn how to renew or make changes to your business licence information.


Applying for Online Business Permits and Licences? Try BizPaL, an innovative online service that provides entrepreneurs with simplified access to information about business permits, licences and other requirements needed to start, operate and grow your business.

BizPal is the result of combined efforts by the federal, provincial/territorial and participating municipal governments.

Launch BizPaL

Temporary Office Trailer Permit

In general, trailers cannot be used for offices. Temporary trailer permits are available for the following office uses:

  • Construction site trailer
  • Temporary institutional offices
  • Temporary business offices

Permits are valid for a 6-month period. The permit cost is $100 plus the cost of utilities if the trailer is hooked into City of Surrey utility services.

Applying for a Temporary Office Trailer Permit

  1. Complete the Temporary Trailer Permit Application
  2. Get a letter of authorization from the property owner along with a site plan showing where the trailer will be located on the property.
  3. Submit your application, letter of authorization and site survey in person at Surrey City Hall, Bylaw & Licensing Services 13450 104 Avenue. Make payments in cash, by cheque, Interac, or credit card.

Contact Us

For any questions about your business licence application or temporary office trailer permit application, contact our Licensing Office at or 604-591-4370.

If you'd like information about Surrey's business community, contact our Economic Development Office at or by phone at 604-591-4128.